Microsoft figures - 2021
Find the latest figures from Microsoft, updated regularly.
Founded in 1975 by Bill Gates and Paul Allen, Microsoft is an American multinational company that develops and sells operating systems, software and computer products. Headed by Satya Nadella since 2014, the firm is one of the major players in the tech industry, alongside Google, Apple, Facebook and Amazon (GAFAM, also known as the Big Five or Big Tech). Its headquarters are located in Redmond, Washington.
On this page we have compiled various statistics related to Microsoft: its financial results, the number of users of its solutions and products, as well as key dates for the company.
Microsoft financial results
Microsoft has published its financial results for the third quarter of 2021. Here are the main figures to remember:
- Turnover : 41.706 billion, up 19.1% year-on-year,
- Turnover of the activity Productivity and Business Processes : 13.6 billion dollars (+15%),
- Turnover of the activity Intelligent Cloud : 15.1 billion (+23%),
- Turnover of the activity Plus d'informatique personnelle : 13 billion dollars (+19%).
- Net profit : 15.5 billion between January and March 2021 (+43.9%).
It should be noted that Microsoft returned $10 billion to its shareholders in the form of share buybacks and dividends for the third quarter of 2021 (+1% vs Q3 2020).
Usage statistics for Microsoft products and software
Microsoft Teams usage boosted by teleworking boom
As of April 2021, the collaborative messaging application Microsoft Teams has 145 million daily active users, up 26% year-on-year, boosted by the rise of teleworking during the health crisis. It had 32 million daily users at the start of the pandemic. Its main competitor is Zoom, with 300 million daily active users in 2020. More than 100 features have been added in the past year, with more than 100 added since the beginning of 2021.
Windows 10 has 1.3 billion active devices per month
While Microsoft ended support for Windows 7 at the beginning of 2020, the Windows 10 operating system, used by a large number of businesses, is now installed on 1.3 billion devices, exceeding the target announced by its CEO Satya Nadella (1 billion).
Other usage figures for Microsoft software and products
Parmi les autres chiffres communiqués par la firme américaine, on peut noter :
- Office 365 : Almost 300 million licenses, more than 50 million subscribers to Microsoft 365,
- Microsoft 365 Defender : 30 billion threats blocked on email and nearly 7 billion on endpoints in the last 12 months,
- GitHub : 65 million registered developers, and a 70% increase in the number of active businesses per month in one year,
- Visual Studio : 25 million active users per month,
- Power Platform : 16 million active users per month (+97% over one year),
- Azure Active Directory : more than 300,000 customers of the solution,
- GPT-3 : 4.5 billion words generated per day,
- LinkedIn : 756 million members.
Key dates for Microsoft
- 4 April 1975: Microsoft was born (under the name Micro-Soft),
- 6 November 1980 : signing of the contract for the sale of MS-DOS to IBM,
- 20 November 1985 : launch of Windows 1.0,
- 13 March 1986: listing on the stock exchange,
- 8 August 1989 : release of Office (1st version),
- 9 July 1993 : launch of Windows NT for business,
- 24 August 1995 : Windows 95 release (with the Start menu),
- 25 June 1998 : launch of Windows 98,
- 25 August 2001 : release of Windows XP,
- 27 October 2008 : start of the Microsoft Azure project,
- 22 October 2009 : launch of Windows 7,
- 4 February 2014 : Satya Nadella becomes CEO,
- 29 July 2015 : release of Windows 10, the latest OS,
- 13 June 2016 : Microsoft acquires LinkedIn,
- 4 June 2018 : announcement of the acquisition of GitHub.